When you first move to a city it’s like you’re in a honey moon phase. Everything seems fantastic and you brush off the little annoyances in favor of the new, fun things around you. Fast forward 6 six years and the small annoyances are now full blown issues you have with your city of residence. Our nation’s Capital is great in a lot of ways, but I’m at my breaking point with its annoyances.
- People here can’t drive. And I’m from New York. At least in New York people will decide and act, even if it means cutting you off to turn right from the left lane. In DC a driver will instead brake in the middle of the street coming to a complete stop because they can’t figure out which way to go in the circle.
- Parking . There is none. You either have to pay an extreme amount for a parking garage or literally stalk someone who is going back to their car so you can take their spot on the street.
- DC Parking enforcement. Literally the only government agency that is on its game, all the time. They are there as soon as your meter runs out. They know exactly when your 2 hours are up in a residential area. They keep track of the out-of-state plates that haven’t been switched yet.
- Nightlife is not what it should be. The bars that have dancing are so crowded that you accidentally elbow people while dancing. I love dressing up, but the only bars/clubs that are meant for that have a cover and bad music. And on that note, the music at most places has been disappointing.
- The men, or lack thereof. The only ones I have met are either ugly, dumb, taken, creepy or gay. Is there a secret place where hot, single men hang out that I’m missing?
- Cost of Living. No explanation needed.
- The weather. It’s 80 one day, 50 the next, thunderstorms over night then there’s frost a week later. Not cool. It’s screwing with my body/immune system.
I hope I can find some love for this city soon and tone down my negativity. Just had to get all that off my chest.